Inside the Sketchbook: Renaldo Barnette



As promised I have more fabulous fashion illustrations to share with you from the sketchbook of my friend Renaldo Barnette. These illustrations are a small sampling of the inner (and outer, with the cover sketch pictured above) workings of his sketchbook and how he builds on ideas and develops his designs.
I love how he uses dress forms here to illustrate the back of designs. Its different and adds depth to the pages but its also such a genius time saver. I didn't actually discuss this with Ren, so I can only speak for myself here, but each illustration takes time, even if its just a back view. So to not have to illustrate another set arms, legs, head of hair, etc. helps your design rhythm to flow and stay focused on creating.
Another element in Renaldo's sketches that I admire is that he illustrates a variety of ethnicities and bodies. Many illustrators stick to one overall look but that is clearly not the case for Renaldo. You even see evidence of that in the few images in this one post.
These were just a few samples of Renaldo's work that I quickly photographed while we sat on park bench in my neighborhood with an hour to kill. Hopefully he'll let me share some more with you again soon. (And hopefully next time there won't be a sketchy homeless man serenading me!) Because I love a good Renaldo fix, as I'm sure you, my readers, do too!

Leave a Comment

Reyni Ramírez said...

amazing!!!

Sprout Gallery said...

Hi Brooke. Is there a book through Amazon you would recommend that has a similar style to yours that teaches tips etc. I had a fabulous book once but it was borrowed and never returned. Can't remember the name.

Brooke Hagel said...

Yes, Steven Stipleman's book is great and included many fantastic tips and tutorials. I have it listed in my Amazon shop. You can check it out, and see all the books I recommend:

http://astore.amazon.com/brooklit-20