5th Avenue Holiday Windows



Late friday night I wrangled two friends and strolled along 5th Avenue. It was the ideal November night to take in the holiday windows before the crazy crowds descend and the air gets bitter cold.
This years windows are so whimsical that I thought I would share a few of my pictures here since they could be an incredible source of inspiration for a illustrations, maybe even a whole collection. Bergdorf Goodman had the most elaborate windows of the night. The theme depicted throughout them is "Wish you Were Here" and features far-off fantasy scenes and creatures, like a knitted flying horse (shown above).
"The Moon" window was spectacular, and my favorite. It was a monochromatic color scheme (which I'm always drawn to) of icy blues and silvers. Each element glistened with layers of intricate detailing highlighted with Swarovski crystals. There were crocodiles, crystals, crowns and even a crane!
Bergdorfs has glamour and glitz, historical references and even some kitschy/campy oversized signs but they aren't the only store making a statement this holiday season.
Bendels (below) has displayed a pastel fairy-tale and the entire Fendi building is wrapped in two of their classic belts made of "dripping" icicle lights.
We did some window shopping, chowed down on street vender roasted nuts, gawked at the girls camped outside H&M waiting to be the first to get their hands on bargain Lavin, and even stumbled upon a Mariah Carey concert in Rockefeller Center. It was really a fun and spontaneous night that just may be the start of a new tradition.
For a visual history of Bergdorf windows you can pick up the new 17 pound Assouline book: Windows of Bergdorf Goodman for a mere $550! (here) The Saks windows are being unveiled tomorrow, should you be in the neighborhood I'm sure they'll be worth a stop. (Bloomingdales however, were terrible so don't bother!) Which stores have your favorite windows this season?

Leave a Comment

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Ah, you know just how excited this gets me! Thanks for posting the windows, Brooke!

Nicole Le Comte said...

Wow Brooke,
Love the christmas windows and I'm so green with envy that you get to see them in person as it is on my bucket list to be in NYC for a christmas or two. Thanks for inspiring me.....
I've just stumbled across your blog and I'm hooked.
You are so lucky to have studied and live in NYC and do all the thinks I have dreamed of. Keep up the great work and I would love to meet you in person one day when I make it back there. hope I haven't freaked you out too much. Nicole Perth Western Australia

Brooke Hagel said...

Your welcome WIll. :)

Nicole, Thank you for the lovely comment. I'd love to meet you the next time your in town! And I hope to keep posting things you'll enjoy.

andra said...

wow this year the christmas decorations look really good. last year the christmas decorations in NY didn't meet my expectations.

Teaka said...

Breath taking. I couldn't imagine something so magical around Christmas. I get excited when I see a home with a few strands of lights up, seeing that in person would be a feast for my eyes! Thanks for sharing!

Kitchen-Dreams said...

These are the next best thing to being there! Thank you!

fotoclipping said...

Cool illustrations here!!