Stylus Sketching with Samsung & Macys



Today I'm sharing a few sketches I drew with Samsung's latest Galaxy tablet and stylus. I was asked to live-sketch at Macy's Fashion Front Row after party with Samsung for the last day of New York Fashion Week. I stylus-sketched for Samsung once before, also for NYFW, but it was a while ago and I hadn't done it since. Digital sketching, for me, is nerve racking as I'm a pencil-to-paper kind of girl. Luckily Samsung sent me a tablet prior to the party so I had a few days to familiarize myself with the stylus and drawing apps again. Shown here are some of the illustrations I created as practice, the first attempt being the one atop this post. It may look nice but I have to admit it took a long time and many, many touch ups. It's challenging to try and create illustrative effects you know how to do so effortlessly with actual art supplies, paint and markers when only using a single stylus and tablet but after some practice I got the hang of it...with a few hiccups. One feature I loved discovering was that one of the color libraries within it was by Copic Markers. So I was able to pick my favorite go-to marker colors for skin and hair. 
As I became more comfortable I decided to try and sketch from actual people and photos. The illustration above left is based off a photo of model Gigi Hadid and the coral crop top and full skirt look is inspired this look from Banana Republic's spring 16' collection. Just like last time, once I seemed to be getting the hang of using it it was time to give my Samsung Galaxy back. I may have to take the plunge and invest in one for myself, as it was a fun medium to draw in and I'd really like to experiment with it some more. 

The Macy's Front Row fashion show airs tonight on E! so check your local listing and check it out! I Sketched a few famous faces from the show and will share those soon! 

Leave a Comment

Tonya @ Sprinkle on Glitter said...

These are great! It seems like digital sketching is taking off but I can't get the hang of it. I don't know if I don't have the right apps and stylus or its just not my thing. Yours are awesome sauce :)

Brooke Hagel said...

@Tanya, "Awesome sauce"?!?!? Love it, thank you! Last time I sketched for Samsung it was actually with a bigger tablet with a more precise stylus and I found that much easier to use. This one was quite small and the stylus was a rubbery ball tip, which was certainly a challenge.

Beth said...

Great! I love how you achieved a soft look with the digital tools-this is so challenging! Have fun on your tour-looks like a blast!

Brooke Hagel said...

@Beth, Thank you!

Luana Berti said...

I love this new kind of drawing. I'm very curiouse and excited to use my new pencil for ipad to draw. What's your favourite app to draw on tablet?

Brooke Hagel said...

@Luana I think you’ll really enjoy it! I mostly use Pro Create app and Adobe.